Teaching programs FAQs

  • Application Process and Requirements
  • Traveling to China 

  • School Placements 

  • Accommodation 

  • Living in China 

  • Safety

  • Finances 


    Application Process and Requirements

    How does the application process work?

    Contact local representative getting a checklist of necessary materials and preparation. Once get all your materials, you will be interviewed by an ESL China representative via phone \ skype. After the interview, all of your documents will be sent to the office in China for final review. Please note that we cannot submit your application for final review until your documents are 100% complete.

    What documents are required to apply? 

    It is really based on what type of programs you choose, contact a local representative and he/she will send you the checklist .

    Can I apply with my friend/spouse/significant other?

    Yes, everyone qualified is welcome and we will try our best to place you guys together, but not guaranteed.


    Traveling to China

    How do I get my visa?

    We will send an invitation letter to help get your Visa (F/M/Z Visa). It will be your responsibility to apply and pay for your visa at your local Chinese embassy or consulate before you depart for China.

    Will there be anyone meet me in the airport when first arrived ?

    Yes! You should arrive in Beijing on your designated arrival date and ESL China staff will pick you up at the airport. By the way, if there are any changes to your flight, please let ESL China know at first .

    How much will the entire program cost me  ?

    Firstly, the program is free for participants, but we do charge refundable program deposit, which is $50 apply each program that you may choose, you will get the deposit back within 45 days after your arrival at prearranged placement.  Besides,  purchase your one-way ticket to China, which averages about $700-1,000.

    Secondly, Since school offers free accommodation and the living cost in China is much lower than in western countries, we suggest you  bring around $500 for living expenses .

    What should I expect from the arrival orientation?

    You will arrive on the same day as the other teachers participating in the program. Together, you will participate in a two-day orientation in Beijing. This will include two nights of accommodation, Chinese Culture and Language training, and a half day sightseeing tour. This is a great opportunity to get to know the program staff and the other teachers on the program!


    School Placements

    Where will I be placed?

    While we don’t know the exact placement locations yet, we will be concentrating the placements so that you will be relatively close to the other teachers.
    You’ll likely be placed in a “smaller” city in the region outside of Beijing. Even the “small” cities in China have millions of people!

    Will I know where I’ll be placed before I arrive in China?

    Yes, you will receive your placement information, along with photos and information about your school and accommodations in China!

    How will I get to my placement?

    ESL China will arrange the transportation from the orientation site in Beijing to your school. Your school coordinator will greet you when you arrive,
    get you settled in your accommodation, and show you around!

    What age group will I be teaching?

    The age group varies depending on the school. We offer positions in public and private primary/secondary schools.(Public and private kindergarten, training center as well)

    Should I bring a gift for my co teachers?

    Yes, it’s a great idea to bring a few small gifts with you for your co-teachers. It would be nice to bring something that represents where you are from.
    Common gifts are chocolates, wine, coffee mugs, t-shirts, etc.



    Is housing included? 

    Yes, you will be provided with free accommodation in an apartment or school housing.

    Can I bring my children?


    Can I bring pets?


    Will I have internet access?

    Yes, free internet is available at your host school and in your apartment.

    Will I have access to a phone?

    Yes! We will assist you with getting a new cell phone or a new SIM card for your existing phone. A typical expat spends about 100 RMB (~$14 USD)
    on their cell phone service per month. We recommend using Skype or a similar service for international phone calls home.


    Living in China

    What is the weather like?

    China is divided into northern part and southern part by the Yangtze River. The weather is warmer south of Yangtze River, and cooler north of Yangtze.
    In northern China, there are four distinct seasons; in the south, it is green and wet all year round.

    How does the insurance work? What is covered?

    Through the program, you will be provided with basic medical and accident insurance. If you still need more, we suggest you purchase.



    Is China safe?

    China is a very safe country. However, just like in any country, you should exercise some caution: be aware of your surrounds, keep an eye on your belongings, don’t walk alone late at night, etc.

    What happens if there is an emergency while I am in China?

    You should first contact your school coordinator for assistance in case of emergency. This will be the person who will be able to assist you the fastest.
    You should also contact ESL China staff in Beijing. There is a 24-hour emergency phone line for this purpose.



    Can I use my credit card in China?

    Credit cards are accepted in major cities, but might not always work in remote areas.

    Will I have a bank account in China?

    Yes! Your co-teacher will assist you with setting up a bank account when you arrive.

    Is it expensive to live in China?

    Despite China’s economic development and modernization over the last couple of decades, China is still considered a developing country where the resources
    and the cost of labor are cheap. Average earnings in China are low compared to Western salaries; therefore the cost of living is low.

    How does the monthly living allowance grant to me?

    The Monthly living allowance is paid through direct deposit.

    JSTop Menu

    Top Menu